Friday, March 7, 2008

Global Warming

This shit is starting to get serious.

When you live in the driest state of the driest continent in the world, it makes you a teensy bit nervous when the local (and only!) river system starts to dry out.

We've all put up with dead gardens and dust storms for a while now, but pics on last night's local news of a major wetlands turning into a desert was alarming to say the least. Soon we won't be allowed to even shower, which puts a whole new context to taking public transport, although I think a few fellow travellers are doing their bit already. Soap isn't that fucking expensive is it?

Speaking of smelly people on public transport - I am the proud owner of a wonderful 11 year old boy who believes that a can of Lynx will solve all personal hygiene/water shortage issues. Im resorting to blackmail, eg right now; kid wants to go to dvd shop on his scooter (the maternal nerves ajangle all the while) and I wont let him until he presents himself as properly showered. This is a child who will actually duck his head under the shower spray for 3 seconds and claim he is clean. I am reduced to having to sniff him. Hopefully this stage wont last long but as he already has a girlfriend, I'm afraid it will. He will shortly morph into one of those gangly, spotty critters I see on the train in the mornings - golliwog hair so densely tangled that only a set of secatuers will be able to penetrate; matted with generous applications of unknown substances to transform healthy adolescent hair into something which belongs on a muppet or in the cleaning cupboard. Did these kids not SEE "something about mary"?

So as we grind into the longest heatwave in history (day 7 of 35c plus) I am camped out under my airconditioning, creating my own hole in the ozone layer, and pondering a future without unrestricted access to our most precious and necessary natural resource. It seems very gloomy to me. Already our public fountains have ceased to operate which gives a strange, deathlike pallor to a city. Like someones already dropped the big one.

No ones said a damn word about restricting the amount of laundry I have to do, however

No comments: